Shopping for a new #Halloween #costume or just trying on #costumes at stores? Head wear (such as wigs, masks & hats) could have lice! Doctors often see a rise in reported cases of head lice at this time of year because people trying on costumes in stores could have head lice, which can then be transferred to other people.
We recommend the following advice to avoid possibility of being exposed to head lice when trying on costumes in stores:
- Never try on a mask in a store without wearing a bathing cap over your hair.
- Put a new costume into a tightly sealed plastic bag for at least 48 hours before wearing it to kill off any lice that may be on it.
- Place dryer-friendly costumes into a dryer for 45 minutes before wearing them.
- Halloween Costumes Could Give You Head Lice
- Be on the lookout for head lice lurking in Halloween costumes